My sister called me today to ask me how to poach chicken breasts. Sadly, it took me quite a lot of trial and error over the years to figure out how to do it right without overcooking (or undercooking). And I figured if I could share the “secret” with my sister, I can share it with you!
Without further ado….
- Take your skinless, boneless chicken breasts and put them in a stock pot.
- Put enough cold water in the pot to cover the chicken breasts by a good 3 or 4 inches.
- Do not put a lid on the pot
- Put the pot with the water and chicken on the stove and turn the burner on high.
- When the water gets hot and steam is rising and little bubbles are starting to form and pop (not boiling), turn the burner off and put the lid on the pot.
- Leave undisturbed (the hot water and steam are cooking those breasts).
- Once the water has cooled enough so you can comfortably put your hand in and take out the chicken, they will be completely cooked and ready for use in salad or what have you.